Thread: How do I stop my snare from buzzing on 10" tom hit?

Thanks

Default How do I stop my snare from buzzing on 10" tom hit?

I can strike any drum in my kit with force and the snare is fine, but whenever I hit the 10" tom that is next to it, no matter how hard, the snares rattle and it's driving me nuts.

I've tried adjusting tension, tuning, and I put rings on them (to stop a different resonance problem).

Any advice?

Thanks

did u try adjusting the snares (wires) in the resonnance side which is the bottom? they might be a little loss and so thats why they vibrate and hit the head and it makes that sound

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TamaDrummer
    did u try adjusting the snares (wires) in the resonnance side which is the bottom? they might be a little loss and so thats why they vibrate and hit the head and it makes that sound
    Yes, it is actually better loose. If I dampen the resonant head it still does it, but if I hold my hand on the top head of the snare it stops.

So the batter head on the snare is resonating with the toms note and causing the resonant head on the snare to vibrate as well.

If I can stop the batter head of the snare from resonating it should stop the sound but how? I have rings on it already.

It might have to do with tuning. My snare is tuned higher in pitch than my 10" tom (its a 14" 5 1/2 snare). Because it gives me the tightest sound at that tuning.

Or if there was something that could be done on the tom to keep it from directing its energy at the snare. ITs hard when they are that close to each other.

Thanks

I think its because the two drums are tuned at a pitch too similar to each other, either tune your tom down, or your snare down. I had this problem before, and differing the two pitches stopped it completely.

Olive Branch, MS, just south of Memphis, TN
    Thanks

they may be tuned at different pitches, but note-wise, there are certain pitches that go together and can cause feedback because they match in sound. on my bass guitar, i can let A# ring, and then low D# starts to ring.

Thanks

You'll probably just have to tune the snare or tom differently. I don't think it will need to be a huge difference, but a little change can go a long way. As well as this, you can try just tightening the lugs next to the snares. This helps sometimes, but it might throw the tuning off a bit.

Thanks

A couple of things will help you with this (one already mentioned):

1. Make sure the tom is at least a minor third different in pitch from the snare.
    2. On the bottom head, try loosening the 4 tension rods surrounding the snare bed...REALLY loose, then compensate the other tension rods on the bottom to make sure the head is in tune with itself. This WILL result in a more "choked" sound, but it will significantly reduce the snare buzz caused by the tom.

Realize, there is NOTHING that can be done to TOTALLY eliminate this, but these suggestions should HELP.
    "When you're finished learning, you're finished."

http://www.toddreid.com

Thanks

Default hey

hey i had the same problem put moongel dampeners on it u can get them pretty much anywhere for about 6 dollars!