Thread: Fat wet snare drum sound

Thanks

Default Fat wet snare drum sound

Would anybody care to give me some tips on what heads, snares and tuning methods to use to get a nice fat punch out of my 1964 Grestch round badge steel snare? Is this possible with a steel drum? Thanks guys.
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

Thanks

Getting that type of sound depends more on your tuning than the heads your using, although certain heads will lend themselves more to that type of sound than others. It might be a little more difficult to get that tone out of a steel drum than a wood drum, but it's not impossible.

As odd as it might look on a steel drum, I would try a Remo Fiberskyn batter head in combination with a standard, thin snare side head. The Fiberskyns have a very warm tone that might give you a pretty fat sound on your steel drum when tuned a little lower. I would start by tuning both heads pretty low at roughly even tension. Tightening the heads from that point will gradually give you less "thickness" and more "pop" in the tone of the drum. Find the sweet spot to your ears.

One more thing. I would have your snare wires on the loose side. Letting them buzz out will give you a fatter sound, as well.

Thanks

Default heads

YO!
    Heads change the tuning range of a snare as well as the tonal characteristics of a snare!
    i have a Brady 12x5 jarrah block shell that i love dearly after mucking around with multiple head combo's i found that a Remo Powerstroke 4 on batter and a Remo ambassador snare sound gives me the really focused sought of phat sound without the unwanted overtones...
    its really awesome and punchy!
    pretty much the secret is to try heaps of different combo's, find the sound u like and stick with it!!!

if ur looking for a fat sound in particular with the option of overtones etc i'd try the control sound or an ambassador from remo on the batter

T

Thanks

I agree with bytor. It's gonna be kinda hard to get a nice fat punch out of a steel snare though. Try using an evans ec1 coated on the batter and a evans 300 hazy on the reso, that might do it. However, steel snares are more for high tuning for a poppy snare. My suggestion would be to get a wood snare if you can't get this snare to work. You could get quite a bit of money for that gretsch roundbadge snare.
    "You can be smart and happy or you can be stupid and miserable."

-Gordon B. Hinckley