Thread: Listening to a metronome ?

Thanks

Default Listening to a metronome ?

Can listening to a metronome help your timing? Not playing, just listening, and maybe tapping? I've been trying it out. I have a Tama Rhythm watch, so I just leave it in my car during the day. I listen to it when I drive to work, then driving home to lunch, then back to work, and then home for the day. All in all that is 1 hour total. I thought about increasing it +5 a day. It seems to be doing something, because after listening to it, I have this beep in my head that is that tempo I was listening to. What are y'alls thoughts on this? What about listening to it while you sleep? Would that have some sort of effect? I might be crazy, it's just a thought. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Ummmm...

I think the best thing to do is play your metronome a couple of beats then turn the volume to zero while you keep the tempo going in your head/hands/feet whatever then turn it back on and see how well you kept time. The better you get the longer you can hold the volume at zero.

Thanks

Primary Drum Kit: 1982 Yamaha Recording Customs

12", 13", 16" toms, 22" bass drum, 6.5" x 14" snare. The green finish was only sold in Japan in the early 80s. It was discontinued by the mid 80s.

Cymbals: Too many to list: Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste

Thanks

Learning to dance is probably the best thing you can do to improve your time (especially if your partner is more experienced than you).

I'm serious.

Then you need to infuse everything you play with the feeling you get from dancing, even stuff like playing rudimental solos...everything you play should have some bounce underneath it (as is appropriate to the music you're playing).
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's your opinion, man..."

Thanks

yeah taht learning to play with a metronome thing works well... it gets buiilt into your head and you hear it while you are playing lol... I know it sounds weird but it works!

Good luck!.... and keep drumming lol
    ***HOOK IN MOUTH!!!***

LMFAO

Thanks

Any recommended metronomes? I am guessing there isn't really going to be a standout product but any suggestions anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nashie
    Any recommended metronomes? I am guessing there isn't really going to be a standout product but any suggestions anyway?
    i bought my metranome off ebay
    iit is a cherub red shaped metranote i chose it over the digital just due to personal preference i like to be able to watch the hand tick back and forth and i set the bell to ring atthe end of each bar. this way it helps me learn how to feel bars and helps me during fills and solos.

Thanks

sorry what i didnt add was go to a local music store and have a feel around with them, see what you prefer, i found i responded better to the old fashioned metranoe verses the elecronic metranome, so if you have a loca music store that has metranomes nearbuy go in and jsut ask the shopkepper if you can have a fool around with them or even just look at them and read the specifications and see what suits you best.
    best of luck